A storyboard is one of the fundamental elements in creating a video. This is the basic plan that must be followed in order to be successful.
Visually, this process resembles a comic book, where the pictures are laid out in a certain sequence in accordance with the script. A step-by-step action allows you to make corrections to the main plan, add blocks or remove them. Therefore, the construction of a video should begin with a storyboard.
A storyboard is a series of illustrations presented that are created to preview the script for a future film, cartoon or commercial.
There are a large number of programs and applications for video storyboarding. These can be paid or budget platforms with a simple or complex set of tools and features.
What is a storyboard in video production?
A storyboard consists of a series of drawings that indicate the length of the shots, the sequence of actions of the actors, the camera, and which lens to use for a given scene, whether it will be shown close-up or not. With its help, you can coordinate the work of the entire film crew when recording a video clip. It allows you to follow the sequence of actions.
The process of creating each frame is quite tedious, but it will help in the future to correctly follow the prescribed instructions and fit the script.
What is a storyboard?
The main types of video storyboards are distinguished:
- draft – is a sketch of a future video or film created from scratch, it well demonstrates the work plan for the artist and video designer, at this stage the main number of scenes, the sequence of actions and the necessary budget are approved;
- final or final storyboard – the quality of the image, colour, shadows are agreed, visual effects are approved, at this stage the main characters can be agreed.
Another classification is:
- reference storyboard – it is used to present the script and provide it to the customer;
- director’s storyboard is the director’s vision with the operator of each scene of a video or film;
- The final storyboard is the director’s outside view of the entire shooting process, created by the storyboard artist in collaboration with a team of specialists.
In terms of level and detail, there is a storyboard: sketch, tone, colour detailed and animated.
Why do you need a video storyboard?
The use of a storyboard allows you to quite simplify the task for the entire film crew, since it is much easier to work according to the recommendations and action plan than to shoot a video randomly. This process allows you to make changes and resolve contentious issues according to the scenario.
Benefits of making a video with a storyboard:
- assists in the preparation of the script;
- allows you to plan the actions of the team;
- provides an opportunity to remove unnecessary episodes before shooting;
- helps organise ideas and thoughts.
A video without a storyboard is pure impromptu, such a video will take more time and effort. The director and cameraman will not be able to coordinate the actions, and individual episodes will often have to be reshot. The demand for such a video will be low.
Tips and steps for developing a storyboard for a video
Before rendering individual frames, consider the following points:
- under each frame it is necessary to give a description of the depicted event, a dialogue of persons or other information;
- each scene should be schematically represented, where all the movements of the character are marked, using this approach, you can work out each scene with high quality before drawing it;
- a plan is drawn up with a brief description of each scene, taking into account the key stages and events that will happen to the main character.
Basic tips on how to make a video storyboard:
- preparing a template manually or using a computer, in some programs you can take ready-made templates, after which a sketch is made and brief information about the scenes is provided;
- creation of a plan, the main scenes are selected, it may look unpresentable, the main thing is that the essence of the actions and actions of the character is displayed;
- focusing on visualisation, the necessary details are added to hastily made drawings;
- the drawing is in motion, it serves as a hint for the operator, he will be able to track individual episodes and will have an idea of how they should look;
- approval of all stages with the customer.
A great example of video storyboarding is comics, where the action of a character is broken into scenes with dialogue or monologues, each scene is worked out in detail and has a foreground and background.
Is it possible to do without a storyboard?
Making a video without a storyboard takes a lot of time, the scenes will have to be constantly re-shot, as many points were not taken into account. Such impromptu does not always end well.
Therefore, it is better to clarify the cost of a storyboard and order a video from real professionals. For a 1 minute video, 12 frames may be required, the final cost of the entire project will depend on the complexity, detail and colour.
It is after preparing the storyboard that you can see a lot of errors and inaccuracies in the script. It helps to determine the number of scenes, their fullness and performance, to see the actions of the characters, if necessary, they are being finalised. With its help, the operator understands his task, learns about what decorations and effects will be used.
It takes 15 frames to create a 1-minute video, 5 frames take approximately one day of work by a team of specialists, and it will be possible to complete the storyboarding only 3 days after the approval of the project.